Cisco Switch and ASA Monitoring

Have a great idea for an upcoming release of NEMS? Post it here.
mydogboris

Cisco Switch and ASA Monitoring

Post by mydogboris »

Hi Robbie,
   Would love to be able to check Cisco Switch SNMP for environmentals such as CPU, Temp, memory, etc as well as critical errors. There are some great scripts out there to do that now with Nagios namely check_cisco_switch.pl (fan, power supply, cpu, memory) as well as check_cisco.pl (monitor interface status).  Also with the ASA firewall there are some great scripts as well with check_cisco_asa.pl, check_asa_vpn, as well as check_asa_failover.pl.  Great work!
Last edited by mydogboris on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: Cisco Switch and ASA Monitoring

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Thanks mydogboris!

I've added this to the To Do list for NEMS 1.5, which I'm working hard to release. I'm waiting for some hardware to arrive (yay... it's on a boat somewhere!) since NEMS 1.5 also introduces some cool hardware integrations... you can add a thermal sensor via GPIO, for example... so I really prefer to release 1.5 on schedule... though with your request (and others) I realize the list of check commands is growing. It tempts me to push 1.5 out the door sooner and then bring the hardware integration to 1.6. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
mydogboris

Post by mydogboris »

From a selfish standpoint I would prefer Cisco check commands.  That would give me a more complete monitoring solution.  But I completely understand that there are multiple priorities and wants and needs.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

As a Patron, it's hardly selfish for you to make requests (or even gentle demands).

I will redirect my efforts toward releasing NEMS 1.5 specifically to introduce these check commands (there have been many requests). From there, I will work on the GPIO hardware stuff, and perhaps that'll come in 1.5.1.

I need a few weeks to really get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Robbie

Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Added to NEMS 1.5. I'd really appreciate some help testing if you have time. I do not have a Cisco switch to test with, so if you're available to help test the pre-release of this plugin, please let me know.