SD card wear

Have something to say that doesn't seem to fit in anywhere else? This thread is for you!
ChorleyCake

SD card wear

Post by ChorleyCake »

Hello again.

I was reading up about a syslog server for the pi and people were commenting about SD card wear in such a venture.
NEMS is or could be writing a fair bit of data (I'm only presuming for now), could this be a problem in the future is my question?

Thanks.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: SD card wear

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hi ChorleyCake,
Yes, this is a very real concern with Raspberry Pi / SD Cards, and one I take very seriously.

In order to extend the life of your card, the most aggressive write operations are done in memory (not on your SD card).

In addition, through nems-migrator I have made it extremely easy to 1) backup your entire configuration instantly, automatically and most importantly while the server is online, and 2) restore to a new deployment/SD card just as easily reducing downtime and labor should your SD card expire.

You'll also notice when you visit our purchase link that I recommend very specific SD cards from Kingston Technology. They have proven to work very well for me.

Hope this helps shed some light on my approach to this issue.

Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
ChorleyCake

Post by ChorleyCake »

Robbie Ferguson wrote: Hi ChorleyCake,
Yes, this is a very real concern with Raspberry Pi / SD Cards, and one I take very seriously.

In order to extend the life of your card, the most aggressive write operations are done in memory (not on your SD card).

In addition, through nems-migrator I have made it extremely easy to 1) backup your entire configuration instantly, automatically and most importantly while the server is online, and 2) restore to a new deployment/SD card just as easily reducing downtime and labor should your SD card expire.

You'll also notice when you visit our purchase link that I recommend very specific SD cards from Kingston Technology. They have proven to work very well for me.

Hope this helps shed some light on my approach to this issue.

Robbie
Thanks Robbie, that's good to hear. I haven't yet experienced a failure, although with the exception of my manual install of nagios4 [[which NEMS replaced] [and never configured beyond replacing the examples]], I've never used anything that does a lot of writes.
I have to say I'm loving NEMS.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Cheers! Glad you're enjoying NEMS!
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks: