A couple of email items

Found something amiss in NEMS? Confirm first that you are running the latest version, and then post your bug report here.
kd4pyr

A couple of email items

Post by kd4pyr »

I noticed two issues when testing email on version 1.3. Maybe it is me, but I found:

1) The logging of the email was not working because Nagios did not apparently have sufficient rights to the /var/log/sendemail file. I manually updated the rights and then log entries began to be made.

2) When trying to sending an alert email the log showed the following:

“Dec 08 15:56:36 nems p1.pl[4046]: ERROR => You must specify a 'from' field!  Try --help.”

I checked the /etc/nagios3/resource.cfg file and the entries looked OK. See attached image.  It is almost as if the USER fields are null as far as Nagios is concerned. I hard coded the email information on the Nagios Notify-Host-By-Email entry and alerts are now working.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Rick
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: A couple of email items

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hey kd4pyr,
Thanks for the notes!

I've looked at my development unit on NEMS 1.3 and the permissions are correct on the log file.

-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios root 52K Dec 12 08:54 /var/log/sendemail

What were you seeing?

It's possible if yours has different permissions that I may have accidentally left a log file behind in the build... but I'd need to re-flash to confirm this.

Since your screenshot has $USER5$ configured, the errors showing that "from" is missing must be an old error (ie., from before you added your email to NEMS SST/resource.cfg). Please try sending a notification again and see if you still see that error.

Add a divider if you'd like, to make it stand out more...

Code: Select all

echo '---------' >> /var/log/sendemail
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
kd4pyr

Post by kd4pyr »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Busy time.

For the issue of the sendemail file rights, I think I know what happened.  I was not using the file on my old system (it did not exist).  So maybe it was deleted by the restore?  I know it did not exist until I ran the email test code with SUDO. So maybe the file was created with the incorrect rights.
I am now using the default send email string in NConf:

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/sendemail -s $USER7$ -xu $USER9$ -xp $USER10$ -t $CONTACTEMAIL$ -f $USER5$ -l /var/log/sendmail -u "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" -m "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n"

And the same email error is being logged.

Dec 14 17:22:42 nems sendemail[3093]: ERROR => You must specify a 'from' field!  Try --help.

I know the $USER$ variables are set.

Thanks.
Rick
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Please run this command:

Code: Select all

date && echo "---" && sudo cat /etc/nagios3/resource.cfg | grep USER5 && echo "---" && sudo tail /var/log/sendemail

Please post the output of this command.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
kd4pyr

Post by kd4pyr »

[email=kd4pyr@NEMS]kd4pyr@NEMS[/email]:~ $ date && echo "---" && sudo cat /etc/nagios3/resource.cfg | grep USER5 && echo "---" && sudo tail /var/log/sendemail
Sun 17 Dec 17:31:13 EST 2017
---
[sudo] password for kd4pyr:
[email protected]
---
Dec 14 17:22:42 nems sendemail[3093]: ERROR => You must specify a 'from' field!  Try --help.
Dec 14 17:22:52 nems sendemail[3135]: ERROR => You must specify a 'from' field!  Try --help.
Dec 16 06:16:22 nems sendemail[23371]: ERROR => You must specify a 'from' field!  Try --help.
Dec 16 06:26:22 nems sendemail[28359]: ERROR => You must specify a 'from' field!  Try --help.
[email=kd4pyr@NEMS]kd4pyr@NEMS[/email]:~ $
Rick