SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle

Have you done something on your NEMS server to make it more usable for yourself? Want to share your code? I'd love for you to share and may include your ideas in future releases of NEMS.
donald24

SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle

Post by donald24 »

When I installed my Nemslinux on the Raspi3, I had one main goal as a target: Monitoring my internet-connection, and sending SMS if it breaks down, obviously as it's the only communication back left in my home.
I thought about a separate UMTS/LTE-connection that the usb-dongle could also provide, but that would need a corresponding hosted monitoring service plus UMTS data - that surely will cost extra money, that I was not willing to pay.

The SMS-Server-Tools 3 are easy to install on NEMSlinux, a bit more difficult was it to configure the smstools to communicate with the dongle and to fiddle with the ttyusb0-comport always changing its ID on reboot, causing loss of communication. That was done by mapping the device-id to a symlink.

You will have to give the nagios-user permissions to create files under /var/spool/sms inherited, I just chose 777 for easygoing..

Then you would add two misccommand in nconf:

notify-host-by-sms

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$ \nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:$LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/local/bin/sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$ "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert:$HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **"

notify-service-by-sms

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$ \nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:$LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/local/bin/sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$ "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert:$SERVICEDESC$ on $HOSTNAME$ State: $SERVICESTATE$ **"

and then configuring your contact with the new notify-command and adding a phone-nr in the format +49170123465

That's it, I still have to find out, how  I check for a failed internet connection, I think about pinging three individual internet-ip-adresses, and when ALL three fail, trigger a "Internet-down-SMS". (if interconnecting switch not down, if router not down, if DSL-Modem not down, keeping a proper parenting dependency. Still have to properly implement that, but it's cool not to be dependant on a running internet line for that monitoring-notifications to work.

It would also be a good idea to put this into the standard NEMSlinux wouldn't it?
Last edited by donald24 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Agreed. I'd love to include support for this out of the box.

Can you share a link to a compatible dongle for me to have a look?

Thanks!
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
donald24

RE: SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle

Post by donald24 »

Oh, there a serveral sites discussing implementation of various hardware running with the smsservertools, their forum is a good source.
For my part I found out that Huaweii-dongles work well, that also counts thousand of their provider-branded models out there. 

There are also pure serial-based solutions you can buy, they have their own documented setup for the tools - but I don't like old serial stuff...

The dongle I use is a branded T-Mobile Huawei E3276.

You will need to configure this file with smstoolsservice:

Code: Select all

#
# /etc/smsd.conf
#
# Description: Main configuration file for the smsd
#

devices = GSM1
outgoing = /var/spool/sms/outgoing
checked = /var/spool/sms/checked
incoming = /var/spool/sms/incoming
logfile = /var/log/smstools/smsd.log
infofile = /var/run/smstools/smsd.working
pidfile = /var/run/smstools/smsd.pid
outgoing = /var/spool/sms/outgoing
checked = /var/spool/sms/checked
failed = /var/spool/sms/failed
incoming = /var/spool/sms/incoming
sent = /var/spool/sms/sent
stats = /var/log/smstools/smsd_stats
loglevel = 7

#[provider]

[GSM1]
device = /dev/tmobile_dongle
incoming = yes
outgoing = yes
memory_start = 1
sending_disabled = no

That "/dev/tmobile_dongle" is the symlink I've created, for making reboots possible without losing connection to the dongle (following the link in my OT)

It's a bit tricky to setup, and hard to automate for plugnplay, but having an SMS-gateway running on nagios is a great feature. You can also let incoming sms be parsed and execute scripts to powercycle the modem or router, possibilities are endless.

Cheers!