NEMS and and IOT home network

Share your story of how you use NEMS Linux. Provide as much detail as you can, and even pictures and screenshots for your chance to get featured in various publications (and of course, here on the forum)!
JatBee

NEMS and and IOT home network

Post by JatBee »

I had played with various monitoring tools on and off for a very long time. Nagios and I had had an on again off again relationship for years. I am a Network technologist (Security and Architecture) by trade, I can hold my own at a Linux CLI. That said, a full Nagois suite, and the accompanying companion products is not for the faint of heart, or those short of time.

As and IOT/Home automation hobbyist (It may turn into a bit more than that), I have a larger than typical home network. Anytime a change is made, upgrade, or a network or power event occurs, it is a pain to determine if everything recovered completely. NEMS solves that. I have a bunch of Rasberry Pi's around, and am familiar with them. It was a perfect fit. They have not run out of gas for me yet - although I am tough on SD cards <grin>.

I'm currently monitoring about 50 hosts, and a a bit more than that in services. It is about evenly split between wired and wireless. All sorts of manufacturers. I can see what is up, what is performing, and what is not. I can see what was doing what, a few hours ago, when I get a belated issue report from the user base (Family), or device. I use an accompanying Android Nagios app for visibility.

I'm a bit backrevved on NEMS (1.3.1) (It's even better now) as I need to rectify a few decisions I made early on before upgrade. i am currently thinking I may do a reconfig from scratch with 1.5. I'm also currently looking for a way to get a bit more visibility into the Zigbee and Zwave portions of my network. Lots more devices there. Probably not a Nagios/NEMS thing.

The product has totally rocked, and gotten better with each upgrade.

Jim
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: NEMS and and IOT home network

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Thanks so much, Jim! Glad you're enjoying NEMS Linux ... even if on a very old version :P Jumping from 1.3.1 to 1.5, I suggest you sit down - or at least try. You're gonna be over the moon :)

I'm doing all I can to make a seamless upgrade procedure for 1.3.1 to 1.5, though as you say, sometimes it's nice to just start with a fresh config and "do it right" after you've learned some of the tricks of the system.

Thanks for using NEMS Linux and for posting your kind words.

Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks: