NEMS 1.4.1 Static IP address

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: NEMS 1.4.1 Static IP address

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

As I've previously stated, I advise against hard setting these values as you may lose access to your NEMS server. This is a general Linux question - not a NEMS question. By posting network override solutions here, novice Linux users will end up breaking their NEMS servers and thinking it's NEMS' fault. If you decide to hack up the network configuration, please instead look for help online regarding Linux networking. Otherwise, follow the recommended action here of using a DHCP server reservation to dish out the IP to NEMS.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
DougC420

Post by DougC420 »

Hello,

First of all I would like to say that this project is amazing. 
I am fully on board and wish to donate if I can get a working config for my datacenter and remote sites using Raspberry Pi 3 

However, I am having issues with Static IP setup.

DHCP reservation on my network is simply not an option.
Furthermore, this is considered a "server" for our site we require statically assigned server IP addresses.
Not having an option to statically assign a NIC on a server is not very functional in our setup.

Please advise an override? Please help

However looks like I need access to the root user. 
Where and how do I reset that password?
nemsuser@nems:~ $ systemctl stop dhcpcd.service

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ===
Authentication is required to stop 'dhcpcd.service'.
Authenticating as: root
Password:
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Last edited by DougC420 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Hi DougC420,
Could you post this in Feature Requests as a new thread? I'd be happy to see if this is something I can work into NEMS 1.5 for you, as my goal with 1.5 is to make NEMS Linux even more enterprise-ready, and this sounds like a good feature and your use case is a good example.

I have already begun setting up a "Networking" tab in NEMS SST, and that will be the best way to set things up.

For now, though, to run a Linux command as root, you have to first become root. That command in NEMS Linux is: sudo su

I must say though, I advise against that in this case. How is your Linux knowledge? I just worry about you breaking your networking on NEMS and being unable to correct it. May be better to wait for official support?

That said, if you're experienced at Linux, go for it, and let me know how it goes.

Robbie

DougC420

Post by DougC420 »

Thank you Robbie, I am a 20 year senior wintel advanced systems network admin. Not so strong with the linux side, however, I see the light so I am struggling to implement many things. We use Linux for all of our IPPBX, SMTP relays, cPanel WHM hosting etc. Our firewalls typically are pfsense etc so this Nagios was an interest for us on many levels. Your project specifically has been a dream of mine for 2 years, being able to drop a Pi at a client site or in the datacenter/colo and have it monitor every node and service I can think of and port all of that data to one central management/monitoring console. I will achieve this goal one day, I can smell success close!

So I have reinstalled this img a few times now playing around "fixing it until it is broken" to learn it all inside out. I will use this command to hack chop my way to a static IP and I would be more than happy to assist in any way as well to help request a new or optional feature.

Thank you and I bow to your wisdom and expertise on this amazing project. GOOD WORK MAN love it so far.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Thanks so much, DougC420.

NEMS Cloud Services will feature NEMS TV Dashboard "Cloud Edition" (yet to be officially named). This centralized version allows you to [optionally] connect all your NEMS Linux servers together (via NEMS Cloud Services) and view a single NEMS TV Dashboard that will show you a report of all your NEMS servers. This is part of why NEMS SST now allows you to add a NEMS Server Alias: so you can, at a glance, identify which server is reporting any particular issue.

NEMS Cloud Services also includes NEMS Checkin which will notify you if any of your NEMS servers are offline (have not checked in).

Loads to come :)

Please remember when using the forum to create new threads in the appropriate category. It helps me (and others) find them.

Regarding Static IP, Webmin is included with NEMS Linux, so you may be better to try that (rather than trying to hack at the terminal). I've heard some users had trouble setting static IP's separate of a DHCP server, so it is indeed on my to-do list to make it easier. It's always up-and-up with NEMS... always growing, always getting better.

And here's hoping NEMS Linux can help fulfill your dream! :)

Robbie

baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi,

Since my router is owned by my ISP, I also have no option to tinker with it to get a fixed IP address.
So I did the following:

sudo su
cd /etc/network
nano interfaces
=> add     
                     auto eth0
                     iface eth0 inet static
                               address XX.YY.ZZ.AA  ( put your IP address here)
                               netmask 255.255.255.0
                               gateway XX.YY.ZZ.AA ( put your gateway IP address here)
Cntrl O
Cntrl X

systemctl disable dhcpcd

systemctl enable networking

BR
kevinds

Post by kevinds »

I now just upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4..

Also having issues with setting static IPs, this applies to Raspbian in general for me though..  Normal Debian 9, no issues at all..  lol  Raspbian networking is usually the only thing I get frustrated with..  DHCPCD is very poorly documented IMHO, but it doesn't appear to be installed/enabled in 1.4.1 anyways.

DHCP reservations may be 'fine' for most for IPv4..  IPv6, no I need to set the IPs.  If I am setting the IPv6 addresses on a 'server' I might as well set IPv4 addresses as well.

Overall though, don't use Webmin's Networking..  That is asking for trouble..  At least when you do hacks with the terminal, you know what you did or you can scroll back to see what files you edited..  Webmin breaks things but you don't know what all it changed.

I too am waiting for static IPs to work nicely with NEMS.

systemctl disable dhcpcd
Failed to disable unit: No such file or directory

Perhaps
systemctl disable resolvconf
instead?

Maybe part of the init script to ask if static IPs are needed, if so disable the relevant daemons and to the /etc/network/interfaces file the responses?  Just have to add to the script 'any more' so someone can add multiple static IPs if they so desire, and to accept IPv6 addresses as well.
Last edited by kevinds on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Funny you should mention Webmin, kevinds. I've been seriously chewing on removing Webmin from NEMS Linux since it has had this issue for so long and the devs have been dragging their heels to fix it. I've considered pulling Webmin and moving networking to NEMS SST.

Thoughts?

kevinds

Post by kevinds »

Is Webmin actually used for anything?

Personally the only thing I use Webmin for is BIND configurations (Edit: and IPTables), and yes, I do run BIND on my NEMS Pi3, but I haven't been using Webmin for it.

I have no issues at all seeing it go especially because it would free up a bunch of RAM.  ;)

Are you thinking of removing it for 1.5?  I saw another of your posts that 1.5 was very soon/close.  If that is the case I might just skip using 1.4 and just wait for 1.5.  lol

I've re-imaged it so many times trying to get the networking working I picked up a new U3 MicroSD card to replace the one that comes with the Pi3 just for the faster write speeds..  10x the size was a nice bonus.. haha
Last edited by kevinds on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

No, I won't remove Webmin from 1.5. In order to remove it I must first release a replacement. I think the only reasonable use for Webmin anymore (at least as far as NEMS goes) is to configure networking - but that's been broken for a while now in Webmin, which has pretty much killed that project for me. I'd rather write my own networking bit into NEMS SST and delete webmin altogether. As far as BIND goes, I feel that is more of a power-user usage and those who want to use it can just do as you have done... config it in the terminal. I'd rather not have novice users messing around with stuff they don't understand :P

Note: to free up the RAM Webmin uses, just visit the Optional Components tab in NEMS SST and disable it.

Yes - NEMS Linux 1.5 is very close, however I have hit some hiccups with accounting for all the new check commands in NEMS Migrator. I won't release 1.5 until Migrator is stable.