Fresh NEMS install accessing massive amounts of web data

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
beaker

Fresh NEMS install accessing massive amounts of web data

Post by beaker »

Hello,

Two days ago I installed NEMS on a Raspberry pi. I'm new to NEMS and haven't configured anything yet on the server. 
This morning I was browsing my data usage via a Unifi USG(new to this too) and noticed that since I've installed NEMS this server showed the following data usage for Web...

Category: Web
Application: HTTP
Down Bytes: 21.5 GB
Up Bytes: 2.74 GB
Total Bytes: 24.3
Down Pkts: 16055013
Up Pkts: 6368559
Total Pkts: 22423572

What on earth is this server doing?
System uptime info:  Uptime: 2 days 03 hours 32 minutes 25 seconds

It doesn't seem to be storing anything locally.
/boot Used: 40.02MB (15.88%) Free: 212.03MB Total: 252.05MB
/ Used: 3.59GB (20.29%) Free: 14.11GB Total: 17.70GB

Anyone have any suggestions?
-Daren
Last edited by beaker on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Re: Fresh NEMS install accessing massive amounts of web data

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Sounds to me like you've left the sample checks as is and haven't tweaked them to suit your environment.

Modify the "NEMS: Internet Speed Test" check command sample that is scheduled to run automatically out of the box.

speedtest uploads and downloads data, and the demo check command is scheduled to run every 30 minutes during OK status. More often if it's in a bad state. So if you have a relatively slow Internet connection (outside the sample's thresholds), it will check the speedtest every 5 minutes.

The demo speedtest check is set to a 10/10 threshold before it goes into a fail state. So if your Internet is slower than say, 20/20, you'll be in that bad state where it will run every 5 minutes.

You can also adjust the time for the tests if you want, but realistically this is probably your thresholds (ie., your Internet is slower than 10/10 so the check is running every 5 minutes).
beaker

Re: Fresh NEMS install accessing massive amounts of web data

Post by beaker »

Thank you for the information Robbie.

I did disable the speed test, but the system is still "downloading" about a Gig every 2 hours? I need to figure this out or shutdown the system. At this rate my NEMS system alone will use 1/3 of my monthly allotment. :|

And true, this is a fresh install, with no config changes.

EDIT: I disabled the speed test but I hadn't "deployed" the change. All seems good now.

Thank you again,
-Daren