New User Experience - :-( -=Frustrated=-

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
propellerhead333

New User Experience - :-( -=Frustrated=-

Post by propellerhead333 »

The install video shows how easy it is to get the server up and running. It shows nothing about actually connecting any sort of a client. While on the surface, all the the bells and whistles works with a flash image install on a pi, I can't get any clients to properly report. I followed the available documentation on the NEMS support area. No go. I had better success just setting up a nagios core environment.

I've now searched the forums and my issues have been already posted many times. At best, when there is a reply, it is minimal such as: "did you check your firewall" .... in those cases the user replied and shown things wide open and the thread was left unanswered for 2 years.

Another response common through multiple issues: "did you configure the nrpe.cfg on the client? I seen nothing about this in the NEMS documentation. There was multiple statements during the video that we never have to manually touch a conf file again. It appears to be untrue or at least true for the server only. I guess I can also assume that NEMS is for someone who is already intimately familiar with Nagios and the NRPE plugins. If I knew the internal workings of NRPE, I probably wouldn't of tried NEMS and set things up manually and stick to my nagios container.

Additionally, the NEMS install script only works on half of my debian based clients. It fails not fully installing everything. For me at least, the promises of the NEMS installation video of how easy everything is, is still just a dream. I can't be the only one with this experience. If I am, I guess I have bigger things to worry about. I've been posting my issues as best I can with as much detail as possible in the appropriate forums, but based on past replies, I am not expecting any support any time soon. I would gladly sign up for a monthly donation and get personal support but when out of the gate on a default install, religiously following instructions fails miserably, I'm hesitant to make a monthly donation.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Re: New User Experience - :-( -=Frustrated=-

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hi there,
Sorry to hear this. My first recommendation is that you should get onto the NEMS Discord server. That'd be where all the support has been taking place for the past year or so. This new forum JUST launched, and old posts were moved over from the old [decrepit] forum, but it's going to take time before I and the community can catch up on support questions.

I would suggest you start with working through the exercise series in ODROID Magazine. You can follow the links in the News section of the NEMS Linux web site. Those exercises will also be re-written, when I have time, to be a bit more universal (as NEMS runs on all kinds of SBCs, not just ODROID ones). Of course, the series is as applicable to a Raspberry Pi as it is to an ODROID-XU4. But that may not be immediately obvious to a Pi user.

I don't want to say "don't use the forum" because I really am making an effort to get it on track. But do keep in mind the forum has been dead for a very long time. I introduced the Discord server, plus Priority Support options a year or two ago, and those remain the best places to get support. Discord is best for community support right now, and you can probably ask there what the experience has been with people who opted into Priority Support. I believe (and hope) they'll express that it has been exceptional :)

The forums WILL come around. It will take time.

I've subscribed to this thread, so replying will also email me. Hope this helps.

Robbie