Kernel Panic on first boot

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
mouseymousey

Kernel Panic on first boot

Post by mouseymousey »

Platform RPI 4 & Zero W
NEMS Linux version 1.5
NEMS Build number 1

Hi

Trying to get NEMS up and running for the first time but having tried on both a pi 4 and a pi zero w along with 2 different SD cards and numerous ways of putting the image on I keep getting a kernel panic every time.

I'm sure I'm doing something really obvious incorrectly but I can't figure it out. Any pointers anyone?

Thanks,
Matt
Marshman

Re: Kernel Panic on first boot

Post by Marshman »

Hi Matt,

I just did a fresh download of NEMS, flashed a card using Etcher and spun up NEMS on an RPi 4 with no issues. Since you have tried two boards and different cards I think you may have a bad download. Try downloading again and check the MD5 hash from here: https://docs.nemslinux.com/md5sums

Keep us posted. Good luck!
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
mouseymousey

Post by mouseymousey »

Marshman wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:39 am Hi Matt,

I just did a fresh download of NEMS, flashed a card using Etcher and spun up NEMS on an RPi 4 with no issues. Since you have tried two boards and different cards I think you may have a bad download. Try downloading again and check the MD5 hash from here: https://docs.nemslinux.com/md5sums

Keep us posted. Good luck!
Thanks very much for taking the time to test that. I checked the MD5 of the image already downloaded and it matched so I tried etcher (not one of the tools I'd tried before) and the image now works fine!

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

I'm glad to hear Etcher did the trick. That's the tool that I've recommended in the docs for the past several years as well.

Out of curiosity, what tool(s) were you using before which didn't work? I ask because maybe someone will find this thread in future who is trying with that software and getting a bad burn. So it'd be good to know.

Thanks for the update. Glad you're up and running.
mouseymousey

Post by mouseymousey »

I foolishly thought that one burning tool would be much the same as another...

The 2 I tried was the Raspberry PI Imager tool and 'dd' from the command line. I suspect that neither of these was handling the partitioning correctly and the issue came around when NEMS tried to expand the partition to take up the space on the card. No evidence of this, just a theory.

Anyway, Etcher did the job. Should have just followed the guide :-)