Being spammed with HOST=DOWN emails and struggling with configuration

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
Sharpnesse

Being spammed with HOST=DOWN emails and struggling with configuration

Post by Sharpnesse »

Hello!

NEMS version: 1.4 on Raspberry Pi B.

I'm running one computer (Ubuntu 18.04) that is acting as my main gaming rig, and also contains an HP Enterprise RAID card for both local storage and the occasional SMB share. Monitoring these cards is only able to be done by the command line on Ubuntu, which means that I've had to configure NRPE to call the command and report the output to me in order to automate it.

The service is working correctly, and everything is displaying correctly. However, the theoretically easier part has stumped me: the notification configuration. At the moment, I get notifications when problems occur (good) but also notifications when the host is down. As the only reason the host is down is when I've turned it off, a spam of notifications overnight isn't particularly useful.

The ideal case would be if it would give me a daily 'this service is doing well' notification for the NRPE service (if it's on) and notify me if something goes wrong, but not tell me when the computer is off.
Google only appears to bring up solutions for 'normal' Nagios with .cfg files, which I'm struggling to extrapolate to the NConf window.

I'm worried about just disabling notifications for the host, as I assume it would also disable notifications for the services running on the host.

Any help with the notification config would be much appreciated - my inbox is filling up with crap!

Thanks in advance.
Sharpnesse

Re: Being spammed with HOST=DOWN emails and struggling with configuration

Post by Sharpnesse »

I figured it out - it was in the 'contacts' section, changing the settings for when host notifications are sent.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Re: Being spammed with HOST=DOWN emails and struggling with configuration

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for updating and hope you enjoy NEMS Linux!