Getting nowhere

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
eracerhead

Getting nowhere

Post by eracerhead »

Rpi, NEMS Version 1.5.2 I have no idea how to find out what the build is.

I downloaded and flashed nems a few days ago. I've been following the instructions on odroid. I finally got the init script to complete after reflashing. After struggling with it for a day I still could not get email notifications to work. I tried three different mail systems. I tried everything that I could understand in the troubleshooting PHP mailer Problems (which wasn't much becauseI don't even know how to spell PHP). So I gave up on that and tried to add my first host linux host. I followed the given instructions precisely but when I try to "generate Nagios config" I get a deployment not possible error:

Reading configuration data...
Read main config file okay...
Error: Invalid max_check_attempts value for host 'ns'
Error: Could not register host (config file '/var/www/html/nconf/temp/Default_collector/hosts.cfg', starting on line 16)
Error processing object config files!

As far as I know I never touched that config file.

I have tried multiple flash disks and even tried the distribution on another pi unit. I googled what might be causing that error but nothing applied. I'm not stranger to issues with open source but I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong and why this is so difficult.

Is there a better site where I can be given detailed step-by-step instructions on how to get this going along with decipherable instructions on what to do when things go wrong? I am not a programmer the last program I wrote was in fortran. I noticed there is paid support, can they do anything for me at this most basic level?

Thanks.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Re: Getting nowhere

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hi eracerhead,
You haven't configured your host(s) correctly. In particular, you've missed setting up the settings for the check schedule and notifications.

I'd strongly recommend you go through the Getting Started Guide so you can learn the fundamentals of how to use NEMS Linux, and then jump on the Discord server and let us know if you hit any snags or need any help getting further.

But I know the particular issue you are encountering is dealt with in the guide.

Let us know how it goes.

Robbie // The Bald Nerd