Import to KVM

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
corsairetc

Import to KVM

Post by corsairetc »

Hello,
I have Qcow2 image and I prepare to import it to KVM with virt-install command. I am not sure what should I type to os-variant directive. Is it generic virtio26 ? Thank you for any help.
Marshman

Re: Import to KVM

Post by Marshman »

Hello corsairetc,
I believe the correct variant is debian10. Please let us know if that works for you.
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
corsairetc

Post by corsairetc »

Hello, thank you for your advice os debian10 is work fine. But I found much more bigger problem. I am able import the qcow disk but serial access to it not working and I am not sure how to get in for fisrt init :-)
Marshman

Post by Marshman »

Hi,
Not sure what you mean by serial access but you should ssh into the server with the username and password of nemsadmin. Use the instructions in the docs here: https://docs.nemslinux.com/en/latest/ge ... ation.html
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
corsairetc

Post by corsairetc »

Hello, I mean by serial access console=ttyS0 there is no dhcp server for my kvm network. Whole machines has own static IP address.

I try this command for import.:

Code: Select all

sudo virt-install --name lvs02 --memory 2048 --vcpus 2 --import --disk /mnt/wd1TBraid1/kvm/nems2.qcow2,device=disk,bus=virtio --os-variant debian10 --nographics --network bridge:br0
Problem is I cant use

Code: Select all

--extra-args
argument without location but this not work with --import option.

I was enable dhcp server for the kvm network and the nems machine not lease ip I a m not sure what happened inside :-)
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hi corsairetc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like something that would be good to ask the KVM community. It sounds more like an issue with your KVM setup, not NEMS Linux itself.

Maybe I misunderstand (please feel free to set me straight - haha!) but that's what it looks like.

Good luck - hope you get it figured out!

Cheers,
Robbie // The Bald Nerd
Marshman

Post by Marshman »

Hello,
I agree, this is a KVM implementation issue. Ensure your network is setup to bridge properly otherwise you will get a 192.168.x.x type address which is probably not what your network is using. When I first setup mine, that was my issue.
I am running DHCP and cannot disable it to test.
I also did not use the --nograhics option to get mine up and running
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA