Problems getting started

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
col

Problems getting started

Post by col »

Just getting started. I have a pi B+ model with a new 32gb SD card. I have burnt the image and inserted into the Pi and powered up. I can't login over putty. It accepts username but not password. Reports access denied.

Default is nimsadmin but doesn't seem to work for me.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Re: Problems getting started

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hi col and welcome to NEMS Linux :)

No, that is not the correct default.

Please visit the NEMS Documentation and follow the Getting Started Guide, which will help you ... get started :)

Enjoy!

Robbie // The Bald Nerd
col

Post by col »

My bad. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

So using the correct :) password have SSH'd into the Pi. Everytime I try to run nems-init i get a message "NEMS Linux is currently updating itself. Please wait..."

The Pi has been running for an hour since I first booted. How long should I expect it to take to update itself?

Many thanks
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Depends which RPi it is. A Pi 4 should finish pretty quickly. Anything older will take progressively longer. A Pi Zero-2 would be dreadful, but usable (be patient, they're SUPER under-powered).

If NEMS says it is updating, just let it sit in that state. When it finishes, it will continue.

This will be especially prevalent with new deployments. Consider, if you deploy a NEMS Server, and the version you're running was released 2 months ago, you're going to get 2 full months worth of updates and upgrades when you first power on. So it'll take time on those slow boards.

Have fun!

Robbie // The Bald Nerd
col

Post by col »

Thanks for your advice Robbie. All working now. It's very slow but that's because I have an old model B Pi. I just wanted to test the software before investing in a Pi4. Is it recommend to get the 8g version or is that overkill?

When I get a Pi4 do I just swap the SD card over or do I need to do a fresh install?

Initial thoughts are that NEMS looks awesome. Going to play and explore now. Great work Robbie👍
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Thanks kindly.

Yeah, anything less than a Pi 3 B+ is really just to show off that it can be done. I wouldn't use it in production. :P

Yes, 8GB RAM is overkill. So yes, as a self-respecting sysadmin, you should get it. Haha!

I'd say 4 GB RAM would be fine. But as with anything, you will get better performance and life out of 8 GB. Mainly to do with swap; doing swap on a SD card is a very mean thing to do to an SD card. So 8 GB RAM will probably result in that never happening. But 4 GB is fine too. Even 2 GB is pretty great for a NEMS Server.

Yeah; when you get your Pi 4, just shut down your NEMS Server safely, move the SD card to the new SBC, and boot. The only thing that will change is your NEMS Hardware ID, so if you have a NEMS Cloud Services account, make sure you register the new ID (otherwise you won't be able to access NEMS Cloud Services, and your offsite backup will stop working).

Have fun!

Robbie // The Bald Nerd
col

Post by col »

Pi 4b ordered with a shameless 8gb ram added.......

:)