Unable to perform fresh install on Pi4

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
Taomyn

Unable to perform fresh install on Pi4

Post by Taomyn »

I just got my new 8GB Pi4 and wrote a copy of the 1.5.2 image to a new 64GB SD card. The Pi boots fine and I am able to connect via either HTTPS or SSH. However, things soon go wrong when I try to do the "sudo nems-init".

During the setup via the web-based terminal I switch to my locale, en-GB_UTF-8, and change my timezone to Europe\Luxembourg. After that the installer continues on but then breaks down as follows:

Code: Select all

Current default time zone: 'Europe/Luxembourg'
Local time is now:      Fri Dec 11 16:50:57 CET 2020.
Universal Time is now:  Fri Dec 11 15:50:57 UTC 2020.

Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_GB.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
I then tried another fresh start but this time with SSH I run raspi-config first and the same thing happens. Another fresh install but this time I start with apt update, apt full-upgrade (keeping php.ini when asked) and I am able to choose my locale, unfortunately when I then run sudo init-nems it just hangs.

So my last attempt was to keep the US locale, just changed the timezone so at least that was correct, and the errors did not appear and the initial setup seemed to complete. I then did the apt updates again and rebooted, but then the website no longer responds. Looks like it doesn't like the latest version of the main OS.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Re: Unable to perform fresh install on Pi4

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Yeah; your first issue was that you actually removed the default locale, en_US.UTF-8. A simple reboot and you would have been fine since the locale would then have defaulted to GB.

So leaving the US locale was a good idea. I should force that so users don't make that mistake :) Those are only warnings since Perl adjusts the locale if it can't find the default. The system would have worked fine after that point.

Do what you did, but this time, do not touch apt. The correct command in NEMS Linux is

sudo nems-update
and

sudo nems-upgrade
as appropriate. But you don't need to do any of that manually. It runs on cronjob and is configured via NEMS SST.

Good luck :)

Robbie // The Bald Nerd
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I did as you suggested and all seems well - was actually surprised that I needed to even change the locale because everything else I have running on RPIs (I have 5 others), all defaulted to en_GB.

I will leave it until tomorrow to start looking further into it, but a quick check showed my credential prompt being the annoying pop up window you can't use password managers with. Is it something I can change? I did try on both Brave and Edge browsers
Screenshot 2020-12-11 222234.png
Screenshot 2020-12-11 222234.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Thank-you again for pointing me in the right direction, everything seems to be working normally, I was even able to configure the new Pi4 case fan to be temperature controlled once I updated raspi-config.

However, this concerns me as I really do not like my OSes to be out of date on patches, I always update all my servers weekly and this is too far behind even after running the nems-update:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Screenshot 2020-12-12 105550.png
Screenshot 2020-12-12 105550.png (16.49 KiB) Viewed 2905 times