New Installation Help

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
DancingHobo

New Installation Help

Post by DancingHobo »

After three days of attempts, I'm at a loss on how to go about installing this distro to my Raspberry Pi 4, using a Windows 10 machine to do all the 'work'.

Obviously; I'm suffering some level of ineptitude, but here goes, these are some of the steps I've utilized to perform this installation.

I've direct downloaded the .img iso from the main page twice over this period of time. I've written the .img file to a 64GB Kingston MicroSD XC 1U card or a Samsung 32GB EVO Plus.

Over these attempts I've formatted the cards (quick and full) using SD Card Formatter v5 and baked in Windows format. I've written the img files to the SD card using USBImager or Win32DiskImager.

In all but the first write of the image to SD card, the process takes about 2hrs over USB-C -- of which I'm assuming has more to do with the adaptor I'm using than the throughput of the interface.

Regarding the adaptors, I'm using two, one of which came with my Pi from Canakit

In all but the first attempt at installation, I'm getting nothing on screen but black, even after a period of waiting patiently. The first installation attempt -- I saw a successful nagios screen but it would not initialize at all.

As a means of elimination, I'm going to re-write the original Rasbian OS to the card that came with my Pi and see if I can get the system back up and running. Pending that, I'm completely at a loss on how to go about getting the image to an SD card and the PI recognizing it.

Would extracting the .img and manually copying files over to the card work?

Edit: I've attempted burning the img using balenaEtcher but it doesn't even open up on my machine, seems to be a common problem on Win10 machines according to bug reports.
Marshman

Re: New Installation Help

Post by Marshman »

I have not tried using the WinDiskImager to flash the sd card for NEMS. I have however used etcher on multiple Win10 devices with no issue. Maybe you can try using Rufus from here: https://rufus.ie/ Flashing the sd card should only take about 15 using Etcher. Good luck!
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
chris_hird

Post by chris_hird »

I am using 128GB Evo Plus MicroSD and Etcher, it took about 15 minutes each time (I kept trying new options so I kept re imaging the card.) and it worked perfectly. Its free and runs on Windows 10 with no issues as long as you do not try multi tasking while it is running (I have one fail but running again gave me a [erfect copy).

Maybe your card writer is suspect?

Chris...
DancingHobo

Post by DancingHobo »

Okay;

See my second sentence about being inept.

Somehow -- and I don't know how -- my .img file after extracting the .zip was 64GB.

I've redownloaded the image for a third time, extracted it and noted it a much more reasonable 6.2GB. I also was finally able to get Raspberry Image Manager to work (run as administrator) and wrote the image to an SD card. I do not know how long it took, I did another unrelated task during that time, but it was far less than an hour.

I'm currently sitting at a package configuration screen -- looks promising so far.

Thanks for the few suggestions thus far :)