Boot from SSD

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
madman

Boot from SSD

Post by madman »

Hi there,

I have not found the answer to the questions if I can instead of a MicroSD Card use an SSD over USB for booting up my Raspberry Pi with Nemslinux?

Thanks and best regards,
Madman
Marshman

Re: Boot from SSD

Post by Marshman »

Hi madman,
See the attached compressed txt file. (If you need a different format, I posted two, please let me know. The forum software will not allow plain text files.) It has steps to setup the RPi4 to boot from USB and I have successfully booted NEMS from a few different USB drives. It is a work in progress because things keep changing/upgrading so please let me know if you run into any issues or if you see any needed corrections. You will need an sd card to start to get the Pi updated. I have a plain vanilla Raspberry Pi OS 16G card for this purpose.
Keep us posted on progress!
Attachments
RPi4_USB_Boot_Setup.txt.zip
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
RPi4_USB_Boot_Setup.txt.tar.gz
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
madman

Post by madman »

Wow, thank you very much for your help, I‘ll give it a try.

Have a lovely day!
Madman
tony059

Post by tony059 »

Hello,

Thank you for your procedure.
I followed this procedure so that I could boot to a USB device. It works with an official image from the organization of Raspberry.
However, this does not work with the NEMS Linux image for Raspberry.

Can you give me details on how to run the NEMS Linux image on a USB device?

Thanks in advance.
inmatez

Post by inmatez »

Only if you change the boot up setting in BIOS, otherwise this is not possible. You have to be careful though, because if you do something wrong in BIOS, it will be very bad. It would be better to watch a video before doing it. Once you finish you boot up, don't forget to set it back to normal, otherwise you can lose the files which you had on your computer. It happened to me in the past, so I had to contact DATA RECOVERY SERVICES to help me and restore what I lost, now I am way more careful when I do something in the BIOS.