As of yesterday "Speedtest server not responding"?

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
ViktorEngelmann

Re: As of yesterday "Speedtest server not responding"?

Post by ViktorEngelmann »

I had the same problem and have run "sudo nems-update && sudo nems-quickfix --reset 000015" as was suggested here. Now I get CRITICAL - Ping = 5.347 ms Download = 0 Error Upload = 0 Error instead. With verbose output, I get

user@nems:~ $ check_speedtest-cli.sh -V -w 10 -c 7 -W 10 -C 7 -s 2554 -l e
Download Warning Level = 10
Download Critical Level = 7
Upload Warning Level = 10
Upload Critical Level = 7
Server Location = e
Server URL or Integer = 0
External Server defined
/usr/local/share/nems/nems-scripts/speedtest: Zeile 55: 8180 Killed /usr/local/bin/fast -u > /var/log/nems/speedtest-fast.log
count = 6
ms
Error
Error
Ping = 4.627
Download = 0
Upload = 0
Download less than critical limit. $download = 0 and $DLc = 7
CRITICAL - Ping = 4.627 ms Download = 0 Error Upload = 0 Error

"/usr/local/share/nems/nems-scripts/speedtest --list" just hangs for a minute and then prints
/usr/local/share/nems/nems-scripts/speedtest: Line 54: 12636 Killed /usr/local/bin/fast -u > /var/log/nems/speedtest-fast.log
ms
Error
Error

TBH: for all the trouble that speedtest causes, it's really not worth trying to keep this dysfuncional piece of shit running.
ViktorEngelmann

Post by ViktorEngelmann »

"nems-info speedtest" and "nems-info speedtest best" both print "0" (to me, that doesn't look like it's working)
ramen

Post by ramen »

/usr/local/share/nems/nems-scripts/speedtest appears to need npm which isn't present (at least in my brand new install of 1.5.2).

Additionally, the directory /usr/local/bin/fast doesn't appear to exist.

What's the best way to resolve these?
ipa

Post by ipa »

I had the same problem as Ramen, I am using version 1.5.1.
After investigating the scripts, which are started upon Speed test I found that npm module "nems-speedtest" is missing on my RPi.
Try to list all installed npm modules:

Code: Select all

npm list -g
if the module "nems-speedtest" is missing, you have to install it manually. The module is not present in npm repositories, but I found its current version on GitHub:
https://github.com/Cat5TV/nems-speedtest
I spent several hours to find out, how to install npm module from GitHub instead of npm repositories, here are the commands I used:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo npm install -g https://github.com/Cat5TV/nems-speedtest
Also the missing "fast" has been created in the directory /usr/local/bin, it is just an symlink to /usr/local/lib/node_modules/nems-speedtest/cli.js
After that, I was able to run the "fast" command from the command line, but the download speed detection is running approx. 30 sec. and if you try to run the "fast" command with option -u for measuring upload,

fast -u
it goes forever and locks the RPi command line, until Ctrl+C is pressed. I was trying to find out, what is happening in the JavaScript functions, but I was not able to find out, what was wrong.
Is there anyone able to investigate the JS functions in the files cli.js and api.sj and tell us how to proceed or what to do in order to make it working again?
eforden

Post by eforden »

Are there any updates on this issue? I tried the nems-quickfix yesterday, but it hasn't resolved the issue on my Pi 4.
xanbrennan

Post by xanbrennan »

New install today. Getting the same Speedtest issues.

Is this still a thing, or am I doing something wrong?
FDM

Post by FDM »

I am facing the same issue.
After going over several comments about the topic, I checked my NEMS Server overview. In there it is mentioned for the Speedtest Server: 0 0

I assume that is not right, but do not know how to set this to the correct value.

Can this be set using NConf, or is there a scrip that should be used for that?
clayse

Post by clayse »

Fisrt off, I am new to both NEMS and Linux. I have been trying to figure out why the Speedtest function does not work. Following some of the previous posts, I have installed/updated npm. I still do not have a functioning speedtest in NEMS however.

Howerver, if it run /usr/local/bin/speedtest or speedtest-cli, both work just fine. I get results.

localadmin@nems:/usr/local/bin $ speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Spectrum (65.188.42.53)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by TruVista (Chester, SC) [86.38 km]: 36.755 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 12.47 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 16.21 Mbit/s

But if i run the plugin directly (/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_speedtest-cli.sh -w 10 -c 7 -W 10 -C 7 -l e -s 2554) it fails with: Speedtest server not responding.

I have tried speedtest --list and get a list of servers, but if i change the plugin command, it still says the server is not responding.

so the speedtest 'function' does work, it seems to me its the plugin that does not.
BoggyBumblebee

Post by BoggyBumblebee »

I've a similar situation of a Raspberry 3 B+. I've followed all the steps, but SpeedTest is not functioning. I'm in the UK, if that helps in any shape or form.
experimenter

Post by experimenter »

Has there been any fix for this [or any word from Robbie at all]?

I have this problem too where speedtest returns a "0'. I thought I had fumbled something on my own, so I created a whole new ver 1.5.2 install, but that didn't help. I don't regret taking the time to re-create the NEMS server as the old install refused to update itself to 1.5.2, but Comcast is pretty inconsistent here and it would be nice to have some speedtest values.