Nagios 1.5 graph issues

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
fataugie

Nagios 1.5 graph issues

Post by fataugie »

Good Evening,

Love the project, is just what the Dr. ordered for a quick monitoring solution.
So briefly, what I'm trying to do is monitor an internet connection for someone who is having intermittent downtime with Spectrum cable service.  I have the check_http and a check_ping services running against a Google host every minute.

My graphs are not working in the NEMS Nagios core section.  It looks like they did for a very short period, then stopped.
I'm speculating that an update clobbered something....or I need an update, and for some reason I'm doing something wrong.

My specs:

Odroid 4XU
NEMS 1.5 image (image dated 2-10-19) on an eMMC burnt by Etcher.

Configuration steps taken:

Setup from scratch, performed a sudo nems-init and set the box up. 
Then, did a sudo nems-update and eventually did a nems-upgrade to see if that fixed anything.

So.....from what I see in the graph, there was a very short period of time where it was registering data. 
Then, it stopped and hasn't saved any data since. 
My suspicion is that an update changed something....but again, that is just based on speculation

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
Last edited by fataugie on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fataugie

RE: Nagios 1.5 graph issues

Post by fataugie »

OK, looking at it more closely....the only time there was any data collected was back in February 9th, so this must have been during development and not during my installation timeframe.

So......anyone have any ideas?
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Yay... sounds like we have a bug :) I'll get a look asap and will issue a patch.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
Toxic

Post by Toxic »

reported here 4 days ago: https://forum.category5.tv/thread-480.html  I think there maybe a few issues with the XU4 Build.
Last edited by Toxic on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Oh, you're on XU4? Did you run nems-upgrade since patches 1 and 3 were released?

PS - I just popped on here to say I cannot replicate the problem. My RRD folder is populated and NagiosGraph is working fine.

If you haven't patched, please make sure you do and then report if the problem still exists.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
fataugie

Post by fataugie »

Actually, Toxic, this is a different issue.
My graphs populated with no data.
Examining the rrd directories showed files created, with dates and timestamps from a few days earlier.
So it was working, then it stopped.
fataugie

Post by fataugie »

Yeah, I am on the XU4 build and I updated / upgraded for the past few days.  I DID find a few things. 
Not sure exactly which one made the difference.....

In /usr/local/nagios/nagiosgraph/etc/access.conf file:
  • it was set to deny all (*=).  I changed it to (*=*)
In this thread about a similar issue, I found a reference to a missing file which turns out I was missing as well. 
  • I went to github, grabbed a copy and uploaded to my libexec directory. 
  • Changed the configuration link to the directory (/usr/local/nagios/nagiosgraph/etc), chmod the file to 655 and restarted. 
After the reboot....the files date/timestamp in the rrd directories started updating on schedule with the checks.

So I do not know if just the addition of the file (insert.pl), the change in the access.conf file, both, neither.....either way...what exactly got it kicked into gear I'm not totally sure.

Thanks

Tony
donald24

Post by donald24 »

mmh,

I am having the same problem. Somehow the data in the rrd-directory and the nagiosgraph.log are having a timestamp before creation of the image-file (Feb.25) (1.5 build 6), thus never changed on my installation at all. I've downloaded a a copy of insert.pl and uploaded it to "/usr/local/nagios/libexec", set it to 755. After a restart nothing changed in regards of the timestamps.

If I run "sudo ./insert.pl" manually, this is the error I get:

Can't locate ngshared.pm in @INC (you may need to install the ngshared module) (@INC contains: /opt/nagiosgraph/etc /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/perl-base) at ./insert.pl line 41.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./insert.pl line 41.

Can somebody help me?

EDIT: Found the error, needed to adjust the path in the insert.pl file to the installation directory.
Last edited by donald24 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.