NEMS Linux Appliance

Have something to say that doesn't seem to fit in anywhere else? This thread is for you!
kevinds

NEMS Linux Appliance

Post by kevinds »

This looks interesting...

Is there anything that can be shared about it?  CPU(s)?  Ballpark pricing?

I hope it can be PoE powered..  Something that is missing in (all?) SBCs  lol
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: NEMS Linux Appliance

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Hi kevinds,
At the moment, I am waiting on two manufacturers to send their custom-built units, and have started manufacturing my own test rig with an ODROID XU4 to see if a DIY appliance may also be an option to provide (with step-by-step guide and video tutorial).

The XU4, as you likely already know from the docs, is an 8-core SBC with 2 GB RAM and an eMMC drive for the OS. It also has 10/100/1000 and USB 3.0.

One of the appliances I'm working with is a rack-mount unit, which I'm excited about. It's quite powerful and uses SSD/M.2. It has 16 GB of RAM and can be upgraded.

The second is a passive-cooled unit with a lot of punch for a small device with no moving parts. It too uses M.2 for the NEMS deployment and an SSD for storage.

All appliances I'm evaluating have 10/100/1000 ethernet and USB 3.0 (as I have plans to add external storage as an option).

I'll have more to share once I have received the hardware. Both units should be on hand before the end of the month.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
kevinds

Post by kevinds »

802.3af/802.3at?  This is a bigger one for me..  Right now I am using a PoE splitter for my Pi3 board..  Actually using PoE splitters for a lot of non-PoE gear, just to reduce the cable mess  ;O

Rackmount is nice  :D   My Pi is sitting on the back of my PoE switch in my rack just for a place to put it.
Last edited by kevinds on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

We are working on PoE as an upgrade option on one of the test systems. It's still in development and not a confirmed feature.

Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

One of the appliances arrived yesterday. The second is stuck at customs (importing from Israel). Hopefully will have it on hand soon.

Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

I now have all three appliance units on hand. Very exciting time as I begin porting NEMS to these devices. I'll be testing the performance of each, how they handle NEMS... and overall how I like each unit. From there, I'll be setting up a qualification process for NEMS-certified devices and the expansion to other platforms will begin!

NEMS 1.3.1 will see a few improvements and will be released as an img. I suspect the first "non Pi" build will be closer to NEMS 1.3.3 or 1.3.4... roughly January/February.