start4.elf not compatible

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
msveden2

start4.elf not compatible

Post by msveden2 »

I just downloaded NEMS_v1.5.2-RPi-Build1 and tried to boot it on my rpi 4 8Gb but it fails due to start4.elf not compatible. Is any newer version available for download?
Lostcluster

Re: start4.elf not compatible

Post by Lostcluster »

I have the same issue. New rpi4 with 4GB same error on boot "start4.elf not compatible".

Near as I can tell the Raspberry package for nems has not been updated for some time an the newer rpi4's can't boot.

I found a way around this but it is not pretty and we should not have to do these kinds of things.

You need a second micro sd, a usb adaptor, and a pc or vm running linux.

I flashed a fresh RaspberryOS 32 bit install. I booted the rpi4 with it to be sure that it worked then shut down the rpi4.

Install the default rpi4 flash in a usb adaptor and connect to pc or vm running linux. Create a folder to contain the files for transfer - I made on in my home folder named "nems".
Copy the updated files from the boot folder on the clean rpi4 microsd. The files are "start4*.elf" and "fixup4*.dat".
There were 8 total files on in the boot folder on the clean rpi4 microsd.
Remove the usb and microsd from the linux machine.
Install the non-booting nems microsd in the usb adaptor and insert in the linux machine.
Compare the copied files to the nems files in the boot folder. In my case they were form mid 2020 and the clear RPI were from 2022.
Copy the files from the temporary folder on the linux machine to the nems microsd card boot folder. They will prompt for over-right authority.
Remove the usb and the nems microsd from the linux machine and install in rpi4.

My setup booted normally and the nems setup ran per the documentation. I ran a full system update from the terminal interface after i went through the nems setup process.

I don't know if there are any issues from this procedure. The system seems to work.
Ultimately this is just wrong. The nems website says to use the rpi4 hardware yet the package on the site for download doesn't' support the latest versions. Users should not have to deal with this kind of aggravation and uncertainty about the stability of the system.

I hope this helps with your issue.
lentec1

Post by lentec1 »

I had same issue. installed to a Pi 3 then run
sudo apt update
then
sudo apt dist-upgrade

then changed the SD to the Pi4 and it booted with no issue.
Mo00

Post by Mo00 »

I have the same problem and tried all this and it didn't work!
Marshman

Post by Marshman »

Try these steps:

Getting the Pi 4 to NEMS 1.5.2 boot

If the Raspberry Pi has not been updated you will need to have a micro sd card flashed with Raspberry Pi OS to boot the pi and do updates. If Pi eeprom and firmware already updated skip
to Step 4. If unsure, continue.

1) Boot the Raspberry Pi from the microSD card with Raspberry Pi OS.

2) Open Terminal in Raspberry Pi OS (Note: you can do these steps from another computer via SSH if you want to set up the Pi headless).

3) Run the following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a
sudo reboot

vcgencmd bootloader_version

This should output something like:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ vcgencmd bootloader_version
Jul 16 2020 16:15:46
version 45291ce619884192a6622bef8948fb5151c2b456 (release)
timestamp 1594912546

**The date can be anything like July 16 2020 OR LATER!**

4) Open a terminal and run sudo raspi-config

5) Select 6 Advanced Options, Select A6 Boot Order, Select B1, select OK, Reboot

6) Shut down the Pi. Then unplug the microSD card.

7) On your PC, flash the NEMS image onto you choice of drive.

8) Before you eject the boot volume, you need to replace some files on it with the latest versions from GitHub. If flasher software auto ejected the drive, unplug and plug it back in

9) Go to the raspberrypi/firmware GitHub repository (https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware) and download the zip or clone the project to your computer (get the default master branch).
Or use this one-line command - https://gist.github.com/atomicstack/9c4 ... 8f65b0b1fa - to just grab the necessary files without the entire repository.)

10) Inside the boot folder, copy over all the files that end in .elf or .dat to the boot volume of your NEMS drive (replace the same-named files that already exist there - it should
total about 22MB.

11) Eject the boot volume, and unplug the NEMS drive.

12) Plug your NEMS drive into you RPi

13) Power up the Pi, and after a coupple of minutes or so (it has to expand the USB drive to fill the volume and then reboot), it should boot up!
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
Marshman

Post by Marshman »

Get the files from here and overwrite the files in the /boot folder: https://github.com/GitMarshallBill/nems ... B_boot.git

The files from the Raspberry Pi GitHub site no longer work for NEMS 1.5.2
Best regards,

MarshMan  NY, USA
katedoyle12

Post by katedoyle12 »

I also encountered the same situation. Tried to try again and again but still no result. wordle game