NEMS is great, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
theslider6

NEMS is great, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Post by theslider6 »

Hi,

I have installed NEMS and it is EXCELLENT. With all the integrated bells and whistles, its an extremely comprehensive monitoring package!

However, I am experiencing some errors when adding Windows servers (attached). I have the NSClient properly set up on the server, as it is returning a version to NEMS, but the other values are in Unknown status

It may be an issue with my unfamiliarity with Nconf, as I am used to editing the files directly. Is there a step-by-step doc that shows how to properly set up a client in Nconf? I've tried the Nconf docs but I can't seem to find an actual example of what a host is supposed to look like before you generate the Nagios config and deploy.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you for reading my first post!
Attachments
error.JPG
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: NEMS is great, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Thanks for the high praise. Glad you like NEMS Linux!!

Admittedly this portion of the documentation is currently lacking for NEMS. Once I release 1.4, my goal will be to provide full documentation for things like setting up hosts and services... but for now my focus is on the software development.

So the immediate thought... how's the firewall on your Windows box? Did you remember to open the ports as described on https://docs.nemslinux.com/usage/nrpe_on_windows in the section "Important Firewall Note"?

That'd be my first suspicion, but happy to help troubleshoot if that's not it.

Welcome to the world of NEMS! :)
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
theslider6

Post by theslider6 »

Robbie,
Thank you for the prompt reply and for the NSClient parameters. I set it up exactly as the screenshot and the Agent has the appropriate firewall permissions.

I'm still receiving the same errors. On the "Services" page of NConf there is an entry for NRPE (Linux Monitoring) and for check_nt. Do I select a value from that section? (attached)

I know check_nt is deprecated and to use NRPE but when I select that option I get a compile error. (also attached)

Sorry if I appear to be a rookie, but I've already set up the NRPE Agents on all of my RPi and Linux Vm's and they are now being actively monitored but I am still unable to get my Windows servers added.

Again, thank you for taking the time to assist me!
Attachments
services.JPG
NSClient_firewall.JPG
compile_error.JPG
Last edited by theslider6 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

This screenshot tells you what you've done wrong, and what you need to fix. Please address the issues detailed in the error message, and then re-compile your config.

Open the host (which you whited out) and add max_attempts, check_interval, retry_interval and notification_interval.

Lemme know how it goes.

Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks: