Editing cfg files.

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
ronjohntaylor

Editing cfg files.

Post by ronjohntaylor »

Robbie,
I wanted to schedule some down time for a Raspberry Pi that I won't be using for a while.
I don't want to delete it from NCONF as I may want to bring it back on line.
One of the options is to schedule down time.

However I get this ..
Sorry, but Nagios is currently not checking for external commands, so your command will not be committed!

Read the documentation for information on how to enable external commands...

I have read the documentation and know where to edit the /etc/nagios3/nagios.cfg file and change the check_external_commands=0 to a 1 and reload/restart nagios...

However, Because you have raised the issue of changing cfg files and how it can break NEMS and all things should be done through NConf or whatever and I have had issues where you asked if I had change any files...
I remembered that I did make this change but as you had documented it I thought it was OK.

So Before I changed it I wanted to check with you that it was the correct thinks to do and won't break things?

As a work around I have just told Nagios Check Period and Notification period to "none" but then that just shows the host as always up when it's down.

Anyway, I await you advice.

Thanks
Ron
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

RE: Editing cfg files.

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

Yeah the "Read the documentation for information on how to enable external commands..." is a Nagios notice, NOT a NEMS notice. If you enable this you will break the API, Check_MK and other features.

You need to schedule your downtime using Check_MK not Nagios Core.

As you know, 1.4 will see more documentation ... for now it is sparse with these kinds of things as I've been more focused on features than docs. 1.4 release will be huge, and then I can rest a little (I hope) and get cracking on some better documentation.

Let me know how it goes.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks: