Adding multiple networks for a single host

Share your story of how you use NEMS Linux. Provide as much detail as you can, and even pictures and screenshots for your chance to get featured in various publications (and of course, here on the forum)!
Ruthless

Adding multiple networks for a single host

Post by Ruthless »

Good day 

Is there a way to add multiple networks to a single host, I have quite a large network with PC's having multiple networks so as to access different closed networks I have my NEMS setup to monitor all my networks and individual servers with USB to ethernet adapters but would also like to now monitor the PC's. currently im having to recreate the name of the host and indicate the link it is using but would rather have a single host and monitor all links to the host.

is this possible and if so how do i implement it 

thanks in advance
JatBee

RE: Adding multiple networks for a single host

Post by JatBee »

I have not tried this, but I can't see a reason that it would not work.
You could create a new version of "check_ping" (just clone it), that would allow you to pass an IP address as a param, rather than using the HOSTADDRESS that it is attached to.
You could then add this to any host that has a secondary address, using that secondary address as the param. It could then monitor that secondary address sort of "as a service".

Now whether this is *easier* or *better* than creating a secondary host, depends on what you are trying to accomplish. It might be particularily handy if you had a host (like a router) with *alot* of ip addresses.

Hope this helps.

Jim
pickerin

RE: Adding multiple networks for a single host

Post by pickerin »

My suggestion for this would be to treat each IP as a new "host".
That way you can leverage the existing services out-of-box and it will accomplish the goal you're looking to achieve.

You could just name the primary as 'hostname' with subsequent IP addresses for 'hostname' named after the IP, VLAN, or Network:
'hostname-172-31'
'hostname-VLAN101'
'hostname-IOT'

This would further provide benefits of knowing WHERE problems are being seen, rather than just 'hostname' where you'd then have to figure out what IP address is impacted.
Additionally, you'd put all the host-specific checks (like Memory, Disk, Processes) on the main host, so just network-specific checks would be on all of them.  You could even create Hostgroups that contain all versions of the host, so you can add things like check_http to the hostgroup and it would automatically add them to all of the variations.