Very much a newbie

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
greg_hains

Very much a newbie

Post by greg_hains »

Hi,

Whilst not new to computing in any way, I'm fairly new to SNMP and monitoring across multiple sites, so I apologise to the seasoned people here who will roll their eyes at me.
I'll keep it short.

I am wanting to setup a single Pi to monitor several small sites - half a dozen devices (workstations, printers etc on each site). Is it possible?

So as I understand it, each device (to be monitored) is passive. It sits and waits to be polled by an active monitoring device on the LAN.
I would assume that if there were several sites to be monitored, that these several monitoring devices may feed back to a central server to collate the details? Is that a fair assumption?

Unless I'm way off (go on, say it), I would need NEMS on a Pi to connect to each LAN in turn (over the Internet) via port forwarding to each device. This sounds clumsy, messy and annoying to manage. I'm certain there are tools to achieve this.

Could somebody please enlighten me as to the viability of a single Pi checking devices checking devices as per the above.  If it needs a monitor per site, then so be it (I know they are not expensive) but for the sake of simplicity.
Even with a monitor per site, doesn't the "master" monitor still need to collect status from these individual monitors anyway to collate results.

Many thanks in advance for any info. :

Greg
ronjohntaylor

RE: Very much a newbie

Post by ronjohntaylor »

Hi Greg,
It depends on what you mean by "monitor".

If you just want to know if the device is alive the a simple ping will do the job.  If it's on the WAN then you will need to open up your router(s) to allow external pings as the default is usually off.  You will also have to port forward as well.

If you want more then I suggest you do a bit more research and study of SNMP and SNMP MIB's.
I won't go into it here but there is plenty of material out there and tools designed for this purpose.
Do the devices you want to monitor support SNMP?  If so then that's the place to start.
It's quite a daunting area SNMP for a newbie.

Hope that helps.
greg_hains

RE: Very much a newbie

Post by greg_hains »

Hi RonJohnTaylor,

Thank you for replying.

You're right, perhaps I should have read up more first, and I will, but was looking for a summary of the feasibility of doing this with NEMS - I wouldn't expect a full "recipe" here.

In terms of monitoring, it would be available hard drive space on workstations, toner levels on printers etc - basic stuff to keep an eye on general health.

I'll do some research and take it from there.

Thank you.
Greg