Warning Light Issues

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
DallasJW

Warning Light Issues

Post by DallasJW »

Hi Everyone,

First:

Platform: RPi 3
NEMS VERsion: 1.5.1
Build Number: Not sure where to find this, sorry.

I am trying to get warning light to work and so far have not had success. I can view the current status using the commands given online via ssh, but the output pins themselves do not seem to be changing state and/or are bouncing.

I have GPIO 18, 23, 24 connected to analog input pins on an Arduino Uno watching to see if the voltage is above or below a volt and a half or so. Separately grounding the pins into the Arduino produces the desired result. When connected to the RPi, the status oscillates rapidly to different states and I can confirm this when reading the voltage using a serial link.

My thought was that this may be a pull up or pull down resistor issue if the false status' were actually just being placed into a High-Z state or something and not actually driven low. I was able to install the gpio app which allows for setting pins manually. If I set pins 23, 24, and 18 manually, the arduino display changes properly based on the combination I have manually set. In addition, if I enable pull up resistors and pull down resistors between various pins, it also behaves correctly. However, after doing this, even when deliberately causing a warn or crit state, there is no change in the I/O pins.

Any thoughts or things I've missed? From what I could tell, this system is installed by default/ works out of the box; does this sound correct?

Thanks for your help,

Dallas
riccardo

Re: Warning Light Issues

Post by riccardo »

I have the same issue with my RPi 3.
No GPIO output switching, pin 24 stays high.
Also dit a test with multimeter.

currentstate
[2022-03-11 3:18:45pm] NEMS State: CRITICAL.
- Service "HTTP" on TEST RICCARDO:
connect to address 192.168.1.199 and port 80: No route to host

gpio-extender.json
{"nems":true,"iteration":4805,"state":{"24":0,"23":0,"18":1},"omzlo":"red3"}

warninglight
[2022-03-11 3:14:44pm] NEMS State: OK.
[2022-03-11 3:18:45pm] NEMS State: CRITICAL.
- Service "HTTP" on TEST RICCARDO:
connect to address 192.168.1.199 and port 80: No route to host

I have NO Omzlo Warning Light pHAT is present on this NEMS Server,
I just plugged it directly on the GPIO.

https://docs.nemslinux.com/en/latest/ne ... light.html
Cheess landia Netherlands

Time 2 change VMware to RPi

RPi mostely 3B+
NEMS 1.5.2
NEMS build ??
Robbie Ferguson
Posting Freak

Post by Robbie Ferguson »

@riccardo, what do you mean "I just plugged it directly on the GPIO"?

You would need to connect the GPIO to 5V relays in order to switch the state of the power to the lights (which are likely 12 or 24V). You wouldn't want to connect the lights directly to the GPIO.

Though you also state you used a multimeter and 24 stays high, which may point to a failed compile of some of the back-end components (your JSON output is correct, but the pins are not changing state appropriately).

Please clarify - will see if I can help.

Thanks,
Robbie // The Bald Nerd
riccardo

Post by riccardo »

Hi Robbie, thanks for replying.

I'm studied electronics. (my background)

I connected the GPIO pin 24 with a LED and resistor to ground and made a error by pinging to a not existing server.
So on my nems.net/tv was a error displaying.
At that moment I thought pin 24 should go LOW (result: LED stays on & multimeter connected from pin24 to ground was high 3,3V, I think thats the max output voltage, not 5V), strange. Json output is correct as you say.

You said (see web link) that only 1 pin could be high, the rest (warn & crit) will than be low) So 1 output should always be high at the time.
This couldnt be difficult I think, ;)

other question,
I hope there is a possibility:
- trying to see if its possible to make a output high if...... some server is down.
I don't use "NEMS Tools GPIO Extender receiver"

Riccardo
Cheess landia Netherlands

Time 2 change VMware to RPi

RPi mostely 3B+
NEMS 1.5.2
NEMS build ??