As of yesterday "Speedtest server not responding"?

Having issues? Post them here, and help other users.
britri

Re: As of yesterday "Speedtest server not responding"?

Post by britri »

New user, just downloaded and installed tonight. Have used LibreNMS, Cacti and others, Really like this simple interface and setup. Was really looking forward to adding switches and my VM's to monitor. And really wanted the Speedtest, i hope they find a solution. It was one of the features I was after. As I am also having the speed test issue. V1.5.2
jaediggity

Post by jaediggity »

Great package! I also downloaded and installed it this last week as I was home with COVID. I really hope that they get the speed test working again! Version 1.5.2 with the recommended patches.
Another cool option would be to incorporate something similar to smokeping to monitor the internet connection and internal network devices and display results in graph form.
experimenter

Post by experimenter »

In following up others' work, i looked in /usr/local/bin to see if I could manually run the script. To my surprise, the old script is not there in my new install ver 1.5.2, but it DOES have speed-cloudflare-cli. While i am still getting error messages from the NEMS server that the speedtest server is not responding - when i manually run speed-cloudflare-cli it appears to work just fine. Results are posted below. Does anyone know how to get this to work automatically?

username@nems:/usr/local/bin $ speed-cloudflare-cli list --list
Server location: Detroit (DTW)
Your IP: 68.68.68.68 (US)
Latency: 29.10 ms
Jitter: 5.34 ms
100kB speed: 50.59 Mbps
1MB speed: 116.83 Mbps
10MB speed: 202.70 Mbps
25MB speed: 229.14 Mbps
100MB speed: 230.33 Mbps
Download speed: 227.91 Mbps
Upload speed: 11.34 Mbps
Lawiak

Post by Lawiak »

Hi, just ran into the same problem and wanted to post what helped. Not sure if all steps are necessary, but in the end it helped:
First I installed speedtest-cli

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install speedtest-cli
I still got the message "Server could not be reached", so I tried the command from the command line:

user@nems:~ $ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_speedtest-cli.sh -w 10 -c 7 -W 10 -C 7 -l e
touch: '/var/log/nems/speedtest.log' kann nicht berührt werden: Keine Berechtigung
chown: Zugriff auf '/var/log/nems/speedtest.log' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
touch: '/var/log/nems/speedtest-cf.log' kann nicht berührt werden: Keine Berechtigung
chown: Zugriff auf '/var/log/nems/speedtest-cf.log' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
touch: '/var/log/nems/speedtest-ping.log' kann nicht berührt werden: Keine Berechtigung
chown: Zugriff auf '/var/log/nems/speedtest-ping.log' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
cat: /var/log/nems/speedtest-cf.log: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
cat: /var/log/nems/speedtest-ping.log: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
find: ‘/var/log/nems/speedtest-cf.log’: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Speedtest server not responding.
So apparently the check_speedtest-cli.sh can not create a handfull of necessary logfiles. So, next try: Same command but with sudo:

user@nems:~ $ sudo !!
sudo /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_speedtest-cli.sh -w 10 -c 7 -W 10 -C 7 -l e

OK - Ping = 12.867 ms Download = 77.18 Mbps Upload = 17.65 Mbps
Success! I then tried running the check through the NEMS Adagios page, and it worked there too!

Maybe there is a better way, maybe someone should fix this in some script, but for everyone searching for this, this may also help you!
rtuerw

Post by rtuerw »

this did not work on my Raspberry Pi 4. I'll wait patiently for the push.
stick merge
bhammy187

Post by bhammy187 »

Folks, you just need to go into Nconf, and edit the 'Internet Speed Test' service, scroll down to the bottom, and change the value of ARG5: to something close to you. I'm using 10051 which is Comcast in Denver. You can find the ID you need to use for ARG5: of the 'Internet Speed Test' service, by going to this site and searching for your ISP or location: https://williamyaps.github.io/wlmjavasc ... ercli.html
Then Submit/Save changes, Generate Nagios config, click deploy, and it will be working.
Yes, it's possible you might also need to: sudo apt-get install speedtest-cli
But the main problem most folks are having is they are not changing the speedtest server ID, which is ARG5 when editing the service. Don't leave it at the default, or it won't work.
Cheers.
kenr34

Post by kenr34 »

Hi all, quick question about this error message.

After reading all the previous posts, I've got it working fairly reliable. But still running into a timeout issue every couple hours. (Service check timed out after 61.01 seconds)

When testing from command line, noted that it typically takes a little over 60 seconds to complete. So is there an easy way to extend the timeout value?

Also in my NCONF I don't see the field ARG5 at the bottom. Only 1-4 fields. But from command line, the script seems to chose the closest speedtest servers automatically. So don't believe this is impacting my situation.

-K
NEMS Platform: Raspberry Pi
NEMS Version Running: 1.5.2
kenr34

Post by kenr34 »

I found the answer to my timeout question tucked away in the check_speedtest-cli.

The speedtest-cli can take some time to return its result. I recommend that you set the
service_check_timeout value for your check command to 120 to allow time for
this script to run; but test yourself and adjust accordingly.

Modified the "service_check_timeout" value from 60 to 120 seconds in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and restarted nagios. Not sure if that was correct way to do it, but timeout issue is resolved now.
NEMS Platform: Raspberry Pi
NEMS Version Running: 1.5.2
zechariahbauer

Post by zechariahbauer »

Is there an update for this to function yet?

I have followed many steps in this forum (updated the speedtest ID, installing speedtest-cli, ec). I can run the speedtest from CLI, but the check just fails and gives me the error:

"You do not have the expected number of indices in your output from SpeedTest. Is it correctly installed? Try running the check with the -V argument to see what is going wrong."

Unfortunately, the -V argument is no longer valid, as when I run it I get the "unrecognized arguments: -V" response.

NEMS Version : 1.5.2
NEMS speedtest-cli plugin - Version : 1.6

Check Command : /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_speedtest-cli.sh -w 10 -c 7 -W 10 -C 7 -l e -s 7168

-Z